Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Marvel: Avengers Alliance

While I'm waiting to finish my second game of Game Fest 2013, I need to talk about a Facebook game. I typically don't waste my time with social gaming. Marvel: Avengers Alliance is my one exception.

Avengers Alliance is a chapter-based combat game. It follows the established social game formula of utilizing a reservoir of energy, where each combat encounter costs a fixed amount. The combat is turn-based, very similar to early Final Fantasy.

I like the game for a few reasons. The Marvel license really helps here, with the pool of included characters being fantastic. Many social games are designed to hide what you want most out of the game behind a payment barrier. In other words, if you want to play as much as you want, you have to pay for it. To get the best loot right now, you have to buy it. Avengers Alliance doesn't put a lot of its content behind a payment, which I appreciate. What it does do, is allow you to acquire the higher cost characters and loot through playtime. The idea of acquiring the best through an investment of time rather than money, is a social game formula I hope more companies utilize.

I use Facebook a lot. I also like to support social games. Avengers Alliance gets my time because I don't have to bug my friends or shell out money to feel like I'm getting the most out of it.

Give it a try. If you feel like joining the Alliance, look me up!

2 comments:

  1. Kurt I always get happier when you have a new post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shouted you out on my YT channel today! Keep up the good work

      Delete