Tuesday, February 22, 2011

They call it a mine...a mine!

Hey all!

I know that it's been almost a year since my last post, but what a year it has been! Enough about me though, let me tell you about my latest craze in gaming.

Minecraft


Now I typically don't do a whole lot of PC/Mac gaming these days. Whenever I happen to have a free moment (and I don't happen to be hanging out with my wife) I enjoy a good console game. After my time with Minecraft, however, I'm here to tell you that there are some great things to be played on your computer.

Minecraft is a sandbox construction game that was created by Markus "Notch" Persson. I first came to know about it a little less than a year ago. The interesting thing about this game is that it technically isn't even released yet. When I picked it up, it was still in its Alpha stage and just recently reached its Beta stage of production. Markus has built the game by himself, but with people buying into the game and aiding its production, Markus has been able to start up his own company and facilitate the game's production further.

How does it play?


Minecraft is fun to play. Hands down. Now you might read this post, go look up Minecraft, and think something else. That's okay, Minecraft might not interest everyone. Before you write it off, let me tell you this one story.

During your time in the world of Minecraft, you will get a new world tailored to you every time you start a fresh game. As you explore, you'll need to craft tools and find materials essential to your survival. During my first experience, I was mining away at some stone in one of the naturally formed caves near my shelter I had created. As I chipped away, I noticed that the space behind the stone was hollow. As I watched this occur on the screen, the soothing melody of the music that played in the background continued, and I knew I had made an incredible discovery. I used my Pick to chip further and further down until I reached the stone floor below. Using the torches I had crafted to light my way, I realized that the stone floor I came upon was part of a larger, more expansive cavern equipped with it's own underground waterfall.

Now if that experience is something you don't want to have happen to you, then don't play Minecraft.

1 comment:

  1. Great. I checked out your blog. I guess I'll come by next year.

    Give me some reviews, Kurt!

    ReplyDelete