Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Why you won't see a review of Star Ocean: The Last Hope...

I typically like the console RPG. I have fond memories of playing Final Fantasy on the Super Nintendo and I have loved the adventures I used to go on with these great characters. I've always loved a good story, especially how some RPGs tell that story.

Until now.


I think I literally played Star Ocean for about twenty minutes or so before I slapped all three disks back into its Gamefly envelope to be sent back from whence it came. Visually, I thought Star Ocean was great. Bright, vibrant colors made the game quite a thing to look at. Movement really took some time to get used to, and I was okay with that.

It really came down to the core element in any game: gameplay.
Tutorials are nothing new when it comes to any game. Star Ocean had tedious tutorial menus that were no fun whatsoever to play. I went through the first of seven other tutorials, and couldn't take it any longer...I had to get to the action. As much as I wanted to get into an adventure in space exploration, I just couldn't...I had to watch a cutscene. And another cutscene. And...well, you get the idea. By the time I got to someplace that wasn't my ship, I had no idea were to go. I had given up.

My philosophy is to typically play through any game (no matter how bad it is) and give a review on my blog on the highs and lows. Maybe later, I'll get back into this space exploration adventure and glean what I can from the experience. Right now, however, I've got homework to do.

In the meantime, here's what the good folks at GameTrailers thought of it: Star Ocean: The Last Hope Review

No comments:

Post a Comment